6/1 airbrushed by the media

Throughout today's class, we learned about Steven Donziger and the oil pollution his company caused.
Our first teacher taught us about how Steven Donziger accidentally polluted the area with oil and was blamed for his actions while the real responsibility may not rely on him. Our second teacher taught us that Donziger was sent to court. Although both of the teachers told us similar outlines regarding the happening,
one of the differences was perhaps the amount of information we were provided. The second teacher who introduced us to a news article helped us to learn more about the happening. I learned that only relying on our memories while explaining is a hard thing to suceecd in, especially when the information is something an individual learned several days ago. In addition, such facts lead to acknowledging how important are blogs when it comes to managing memories. Although continuing blogs require hardship time to time, I hope to keep management of my learnings.

Though today's class, we also learned about the bhopal disaster in India. Despite the fact of the drastic amount of victims, I never head about the happening. In addition, the fact that Union Carbide Coorporation was took to court, but stated that the responsibility relied on India was extremely unfair. 
After learning about the contents of the happening, we researched online for information about the disaster. In English articles, some did not even mention "Union Carbide Coorporation." In addition, even if it did, the indian side was expressed as "not cooperative" "denied answers." (from newyork times).
Such articles made it as if the indian side was the one to blame. In addition, when searching about the happening in Japan news, none of the main presses included any information about the happening. Overall, I understood how the "airbrushing" was done almost perfectly by the media. I wondered how many numerous happenings may have been airbrushed and hid from us. 



Comments

Popular Posts