6/25 The brown M&M'S. Basic before Application.
While being presented by the 3 teams, I had noticed myself concentrating and having more interest in the contents. The first notice was that each team had put inside a small joke or action in order to entertain and make the audience laugh. As we were instructed in the past class, laughter and enjoyment is something which increases the audiences dopamine level and keeps their awareness.
<1>. From this story, we have learned that if we are even unable to keep the basic rules, there are likely or definitely some missings inside more rules and other contents. Our team had decided to review our presentation focusing on the basic rules before anything after knowing this story.
I believe putting insides these elements (such as jokes) was a very effective way. Next, was how several teams actually tested in front of the audience. For instance, one team, (person) had been pulling the chairs, moving and showing, walking around the desks in order to demonstrate the problem. I thought this really leads to taking the problem as something more common and realistic.
In addition, it is also a kind of action that drags the audience's attention. Lastly, is how there were call and response during the presentation. The audience was asked questions such as "Do you think this is good?" "Is this an efficient way?" and would response easily with "yes" and "no." Some of the questions were entertaining and lead to laughter as we responded, while some lead to us reconsidering about the problem more deeply. In conclusion, these are the main notices which I believe are the base to concentration and interest towards the presentations. I hope to learn from the notices and come up with our own way and ideas.
Our team had also been given a chance to present during today but was unable to start since the slides were not shared. Afterward, Mr. Paterson had taught us about a story of a band which related to this miss. Once a famous band called Van Hellen had asked their audience to bring a bowl of MandM's only with the brown ones removed. Most of the people were confused and thought it was ridiculous. However, the fact was that the band had been testing the promoters. Van Hellen had been the first band to 850 par lamps for the stage. I have researched the whole story and found an interview where David Lee Roth had said, "If I came backstage, having been one of the architects of this lighting and staging design, and I saw brown M&Ms on the catering table, then I guarantee the promoter had not read the contract rider, and we would have to do a serious line check" <1>. From this story, we have learned that if we are even unable to keep the basic rules, there are likely or definitely some missings inside more rules and other contents. Our team had decided to review our presentation focusing on the basic rules before anything after knowing this story.
<1 <1 > Business Insider. (2016, September 7). There's a brilliant reason why Van Halen asked for a bowl of M&Ms with all the brown candies removed before every show. retrieved from https://www.businessinsider.com/van-halen-brown-m-ms-contract-2016-
Comments
Post a Comment