4/28 "lying in the media is not a crime."
Though today's class, we watched a video featuring two journalists of fox and their conflict between the advertising companies and news media. The video included numerous shocking facts; my impression and the reliability towards the news media changed drastically. Although the video mentioned "lying in the media is not a crime," I sincerely believe that this constitution needs to be fixed. Fortunately, the milk did not cause any serious health problems according to the video. However, the company should not take this as a granted. Although, I also understand that the decision between the citizen's health and money may have been extremely difficult. If the company chose to reveal the truth, its reputation would have almost certainly fallen. In spite of this, employees who work in the company have the risk to lose their own profit and families living due to this. Therefore, for the people who worked in the company, the decision may have been "their own families safety," or "the whole countries consumers." If I was in the same position as the employees, I honestly do not have the confidence to choose the latter decision.
However, this is also why I strongly think that there should be a strong constitution regarding how lying in the media should be a crime. If such a crime existed in the foundation of society, both the news and advertising companies would carry the risk of certainly being punished if they violate it. In such cases, I believe that both companies would consider better about lying and concealing the truth. Unfortunately, in America, and almost certainly in Japan, such a constitution does not exist in the current. Therefore, this is also why I think that we, the citizens who rely on the news and media should acquire the skills to understand and suspect the information we read, see and hear individually. Overall, watching the video reminded me to consider carefully what I see in the media and the importance to suspect the information. I addition, although the content was shocking, I believe it taught us a critical lesson.
Comments
Post a Comment